Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Ninety Nine

The world is not full of idiots.
I realized this the other day.


People in this world are incredibly diverse on many different levels, but often times it seems there is a high concentration of idiots. Because of this seemingly high concentration, I decided to think long and hard so I could come up with some sort of Idiots vs. Intellects theory.


I should first clarify that an "idiot" should by no means be determined by culture, race, income, etc. because as I mentioned, there is an unimaginable level of diversity among humans in the world. Instead, an "idiot" would characteristically be one who completely lacks the qualities of a genius. I propose that there would be 3 main ways by which this can be determined:


1. One's necessary ability to exercise common sense
2. One's willingness to think "outside the box"
3. One's mental capacity to develop thoughts into ideas and deliver them effectively


I think humans can (very generally but diplomatically) be categorized on a scale of 1-100 to measure their overall level of intelligence. Apart from the 3 mentioned above, there are many factors that contribute to evaluation one's intelligence (i.e. age, education, mental stability, sanity and psychological stability, parental influence, etc). Culture is often used as an excuse to label one as an idiot. Although one's culture would definitely impact their nature but I strongly believe that it does not effect their level of intellegence, even if they are not living in their native country.

I think the reason why I feel like I see some of the most stupid people alive in this city is because of one main reason: the city has a higher population density than smaller rural towns like the one I grew up in. Therefore, there is a larger variety of people in the city as residents, visitors, workers, and vagrants.

I am out and about in the heart of the city on a regular basis in the morning, afternoon and evening most days of the week so I am able to observe the behaviour and nature of a lot of people from a general perspective. Many of these people can be ranked below 50 on the intelligence scale.

The Average Civilian falls into this category, along with:
- people who pay rent money that they will never see again to landlords that depend on that money as an income because they can't make it another way
- people who are addicts, homeless, starving or begging for money and food because at some point their life got royally fucked up and they're lacking in the 3 main factors so they can't make progress
- workers who are slaves to the 40/hr (or more) system
- people who are preoccupied with their infatuation of drinking, smoking, clubbing, speeding, etc.

The people above average and between 50-80 can't really be found doing average day-to-day activities all that often. This is because they're doing constructive things with their life (i.e. students who are focused in school, people who have professions instead of jobs). Since it is harder to find these people lounging around on the streets, it is less likely to interact with them. For categorical purposes, these are Smart People.

The 80's-100's are Modern Day Geniuses. Like many of the Smart People, these poeple are generally hard to find. Since people who are out of sight tend to be out of mind, it's sometimes easy to forget they exist. These geniuses are usually corporate guru's, or "the Illuminati" (excuse me while I roll my eyes) who are typically out of the picture because they're on vacation or hiding in a million dollar office/home.

Like anything else, there are exceptions. A young adult who is being educated in University or College can be considered a Smart Person, but just because they work slave shifts at minimum wage to pay rent doesn't mean they drop down to Average. As well, someone who is stuck working 40 hours a week in a hell hole job may weigh in as the Average person but their ability to think innovatively may be extraordinary enought o make them a Genius - they just don't have the necessary funds or education to progress.

At the end of the day, stupid people are stupid people. Idiots who partake in directionless events (consistent club rats, mall rats, regular bar attendees, street thugs) seem to think the world is full of stupid people. They also think their ideas are brilliant. Most of the time their ideas are well known facts, there's just not many relatively Smart people around to show them how dumb they are. This is why many relatively smart people get incredibly frustrated with the average civilian. Smart people become accustomed to dealing with people that function on higher intellectual levels and when they're around idiots they remember how hopeless society is.

Iunno, just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment